Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: February 25, 1784
Warren Philpot Home 1784 – 1787
Benjamin Acles Home 1787 – 1805
Carnesville 1805 – present
County Courthouse – Carnesville
Location: 9492 Lavonia Road / Central Avenue
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Walter Chamberlin of Knoxville, Tennessee
Contractor: M T Lewman & Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building sits on the edge of a wide ravine. The entrances on each side are extended from the building and have two large white colored columns each rising to a wide header and small pediment above. A wide horizontal band runs below the protruding cornice at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square white colored dome with clock and black roof. The building was renovated in 1997. The contractor was Bowen & Watson Inc, of Toccoa.
See: The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1873 and the second courthouse was built in 1826.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Franklin County Courthouse
N – Stephens County
S – Madison County
W – Banks County
Photos taken 2008