Holmes County is named for David Holmes, who was the last Governor of the Mississippi Territory.
Created: February 19, 1833
Lexington 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 200 Court Square / Spring Street
Style: Romanesque and the Queen Anne
Architect: Walter Chamberlain and Company Architects of Knoxville, Tennessee
Contractor: R Jesty and Company of Winona
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building sits in the center of the Public Square in the center of the city. The east front has a small porch at the central entrance on the first story. A square brick tower rises on either side of the entrance and each tower rises above the roof line. Each corner has a large square tower with steep roof. On the center of the roof is a large cupola with open section, clock and small cupola at the top. There is tan colored brick trim and the roof is hipped. The building was restored in 1976. The architect was Godfrey, Bassett, Pitts and Tuminello. On the east side is the County Records Building which is an Art Deco structure constructed in 1930.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Holmes County Courthouse
E – Attalia County
County Records Building
Photos taken 2012