Jackson County is named for James Jackson, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War, a United States Senator and Governor of Georgia.
Created: February 11, 1796
Clarkesboro 1799 – 1800
Jefferson 1800 – present
County Courthouse – Jefferson
Location: 5000 Jackson Parkway / General Jackson Drive
Built: 2002 – 2004
Architect: Cooper Carry Architecture
Contractor: Holder Construction Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance has glass panels on either side and rising to the third story. A wide horizontal cornice runs below the third story and along the roof line. The roof is flat. The interior has a large central atrium.
Old County Courthouse – Jefferson
Location: SE – Washington Street / North Avenue
Built: 1879 – 1880
Style: Early Classical Revival and Italianate
Architect: W W Thomas
Contractor: M B McGinty
Description: The building faces northeast and Built in 1879, the building is a two story brown colored stucco and wood structure. The building faces northeast and was completed in 1880. The northeast front has a central entrance on the first story with small overhang above. On the second story are four narrow arched windows with a wide peak above at the roof line. There are east and west wings. On the center of the roof is a square dome with clock and red colored roof at the top.
N – Banks County
E – Madison County
W – Hall County
Photos taken 2013