Newton County is named for John Newton, who was a hero of the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 24, 1821
Covington 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Covington
Location: 1124 Clark Street SW / Pace Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Alexander C Bruce & Thomas H Morgan
Contractor: James Smith of Sparta
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has two large central arches on the first story with arched windows on the second story. On the southeast corner is a large square red colored brick clock tower rising four stories with black colored dome at the top. On the southwest corner is a larger square brick tower with mansard roof. The building has a mansard roof. The building overlooks the Public Square on the south side. The building was renovated in 2003. The architect was Jack Pybus and the contractor was Potts Company.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1822 burned on December 31, 1883 and the present courthouse was constructed on the same site.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Newton County Courthouse
County Judicial Center – Covington
Location: 1132 Usher Street NW / Hunter Street
Built: 1996 – 1998
Architect: Milton Pate Associates
Contractor: Beers Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has porches on the southeast and northeast corners with balconies on the second story. The center section has a long arched window. A cornice runs along the top of the second story which has arched windows. The third story has a white colored railing along the flat roof line.
County Administration – Covington
Location: 1113 Usher Street NE / Pace Street
Built: 2006 – 2007
Architect: Lyman, Davidson, Dooley, Inc.
Contractor: Hogan Construction Group
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front is rounded with four columns on the first story with recessed glass entrance. The first story is faced with rough stone. On the west side is a square tower rising four stories, The roof line is flat. .
N – Walton County
S – Butts County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2013 and 2018