Elbert County is named for Samuel Elbert, who was the fifteenth governor of Georgia.
Created: December 10, 1790
Elberton 1790 – present
County Courthouse – Elberton
Location: 12 South Oliver Street / Heard Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Rueben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga, Tennessee
Contractor: L L Stephenson
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building has a large stone trimmed arch at the center of the first story with recessed entrance. Above is a long balcony with white railings and white vertical columns rising to the protruding cornice. The roof has dormer windows. At the center over the entrance is a high square brick tower with clock and open octagonal white cupola with smaller cupola at the top.
N – Hart County
Photos taken 2008