Jeff Davis County is named for Jefferson Davis, who was the only President of the Confederate States of America.
Created: August 18, 1905
Hazelhurst 1906 – present
County Courthouse – Hazelhurst
Location: 100 Jeff Davis Street / South Tallahassee Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: W Chamberlin & Company of Knoxville, Tennessee
Contractor: M T Lewman & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray stucco and concrete structure. The building has a projecting center section which has three arches on the first story at the entrance. At each corner are hexagonal short towers. At the west center is an octagonal dome with clock and greenish colored roof. The building was renovated in 1994 to 1995. The architect was Brittain, Thompson, Bray, Brown, Inc. of Macon and the contractor was LPS Construction Company, Inc. of Statesboro.
See: The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Photos taken 2008