Berrien County is named for John Macpherson Berrien, who was a former United States Senator, United States Attorney General and a Georgian politician.
Created: February 25, 1856
Nashville 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Nashville
Location: 201 North Davis Street / East Hamilton Avenue
Built: 2007 – 2008
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: J Glenn Gregory & Associates
Contractor: Pinnacle Prime Contractors
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and the west front has a porch with four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance is has a high glass arch and the second story windows are arched. The center section has a north and south wing behind. The roof has blue colored tile and is sloped.
Note: To the east of the courthouse is the two story red colored brick County Jail designed by Pauly Jail Building & Manufacturing Company and built by J J Carr & Company in 1903.
Old County Courthouse – Nashville
Location: SE – South Davis Street / East Washington
Built: 1898 – 1900
Style: Romanesque Revival and Colonial Revival
Architect: Walter Chamberlin of Knoxville, Tennessee
Contractor: Hugger and Winston of Brewton Alabama
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the Town Square on spacious landscaped grounds. The building has a square tower on each corner with steep roof. Two smaller towers are at the center sections and have small white colored dome. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with octagonal section above and small cupola at the top. An annex was added to the west side of the courthouse in 1938, through the Works Projects Administration (WPA), and Fred W Bailey and James S Bailey were the construction supervisors. in 1981, a complete renovation of the inside was made preserving the original interiors and colors as much as possible. The building now houses the Berrien Historical Foundation, Nashville Better Hometown, and Berrien County Chamber of Commerce.
Note: Built from iron support beams, steel ceiling, metal doors and window frames, and cement floors both upstairs and down, the courthouse was virtually fireproof. According to local historians, the bricks used on the outside of the courthouse were shipped by rail from Macon to Alapaha, and many or all of the inside bricks were made locally by Reddick McKinnon, from Berrien County clay.
See: The architect, Walter Chamberlin ( Chamberlain ) of Knoxville, Tennessee and Birmingham, Alabama, designed courthouses in Alabama in Dallas County and Lamar County; in Georgia in Franklin County, Jeff Davis County, Macon County and Warren County; in Kentucky in Logan County; in Mississippi in Holmes County, Quitman County and Yalobusha County; in Tennessee in Cumberland County, Gibson County, Morgan County and Rhea County; and in Texas in Deaf Smith County and San Saba County.
N – Irwin County
Old County Courthouse
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2009 and 2018