Morgan County is named for Daniel Morgan, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War,
Created: October 15, 1817
Montgomery 1817 – 1870
Wartburg 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Wartburg
Location: 104 Court Street / Church Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: W Chamberlain & Company of Knoxville
Contractor: W R Harper.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a central recessed arched entrance with one story portico supported by four columns. At each corner are square red colored brick towers with steep roofs. The windows are arched. On the center of the roof is a large square white colored wood bell tower with bell and clock at the top. On the north side is an addition constructed in 1559. The architect was Morton & Sweetser and the contractor was Mory & Richard. The building was renovated in 1978. The architect was Barge, Waggoner, Sumner & Cannon of Nashville and the contractor was Vickers Construction Company of Knoxville.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Montgomery in 1826 and the second courthouse was built in 1852. The county seat was moved to Wartburg in 1870 and the third courthouse was a frame structure built in 1871.
N – Fentress County
S – Roane County
Photos taken 2014 and 2018