Macon County is named for Nathaniel Macon, who was a United States legislator from North Carolina.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Sumter County
Created: December 14, 1837
Lanier 1837 – 1856
Oglethorpe 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Oglethorpe
Location: 121 South Sumter Street / Chatham Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Walter Chamberlin of Knoxville, Tennessee
Contractor: Wagner & Gorenflo
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Oglethorpe. The southwest front has a central one story porch with four columns rising to a balcony on the second story. On the second story is a large central window. Square brick towers flank the central entrance and rise above the roof line. On each corner of the building are square towers with steep roofs. On the center of the roof is a large white colored cupola with open belfry and clock, and white colored dome above. In the interior are double stairways lead to the County Superior Court courtroom on the second story. The ceiling has been lowered and acoustic tile installed. The Victorian wooden bench is the most outstanding feature of the courtroom with a free-standing wood screen located behind the bench. The building houses the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court and County Probate Court of the 3rd Judicial District. The superintendents of construction were S T Lofley and C A Greer. The building was renovated in 1976 using prison labor. The building was renovated in 1994. The architect was W Lane Greene and the contractor was Daniel Construction Company. To the northeast is the County Courthouse Annex at 100 Macon Street which houses the County Magistrate Court.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Macon County Courthouse
See: The 3rd Judicial District includes Bibb County, Chattahoochee County, Crawford County, Harris County, Houston County, Lee County, Marion County, Muscogee County, Peach County, Schley County, Stewart County, Sumter County, Talbot County, Taylor County and Webster County.
History: The county was created in 1837 and Lanier was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Lanier in 1837 and the building burned in 1857. The county seat was moved to Oglethorpe in 1856 and the second courthouse was built in 1858. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1894 to 1895.
County Courthouse - Oglethorpe
County Superior Court courtroom
Photos taken 2013 and 2018