Natrona County is named for the natron or soda that is produced in the region and the Spanish “Natrona” means “soda”.
Created: March 9, 1888
Casper 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Casper
Location: 200 North Center Street / West B Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Goodrich & Krusmark
Contractor: Rugnstad & Olsen and John W Howard
Description: The building faces east and is two story white colored limestone structure. The east front has vertical windows with a central entrance on the first story. The lower north and south wings project from the main building. There are friezes on the building and the roof line is flat. The building is connected to the Hall of Justice on the west side by skywalks.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by A Randall and constructed by Schmidt & Esmay in 1908. The Statue of Justice from the old courthouse stands in the lobby of the present courthouse.
Hall of Justice – Casper
Location: 201 North David Street / West A Street
Built: 1976 – 1977
Architect: R W Schopfer
Contractor: Wyoming Johnson, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a five story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has projecting corner sections and center sections. The windows are framed. The roof line is flat.
County Justice Center – Casper
Location: 115 North Center Street / East 1st Street
Built: 2009 – 2010
Architect: GSG Architects and Reilly Johnson Architecture
Contractor: Caspar / Pope Joint Venture Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a five story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building incorporated the Townsend Hotel built in 1923 and designed by Garbutt, Weidner & Sweeney. The building is named as the Natrona County Townsend Justice Center. The old hotel section is on the south side and the new section on the north side is lower. The building on the south side is faced with buff colored brick. The roof lines are flat.
E – Converse County
S – Carbon County
W – Fremont County
Photos taken 2009 and 2015