Banks County is named for Richard Banks, who was a noted Gainesville physician and surgeon.
Created: February 1, 1858
New Lebanon 1859 – 1860
Homer 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Homer
Location: 144 Yonah Homer Road / Old Jail Street
Built: 1986 – 1987
Architect: Jacobs-Architects, Inc.
Contractor: Hartley Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with four high columns rising to a wide header with pediment rising above the roof line. A wide band runs along the flat roof line. Horizontal brick pilasters divide the windows. The building was remodeled in 2009 changing the appearance of the front of the building. The architect was Pieper O’Brien Herr Architects and the contractor was Turner Construction Company.
Old County Courthouse – Homer
Location: 106 Yonah Homer Road / Mason Street
Built: 1860 – 1863
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Samuel W Pruitt
Contractor: Samuel W Pruitt and John Willis Pruitt
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, stone and wood structure. The southeast front has a large porch supported by four brick pillars rising to white colored columns. There are stone headers above the windows. Stairs ascend on either side to the courtroom entrance on the second story. The roof is hipped. The building now serves as a museum and community meeting hall.
Note: Construction of the courthouse started in 1860, but completion was delayed due to the Civil War. Reportedly the courthouse was built with $6,600 in Confederate currency. The date of construction is carved in the wood frame of the southeast door on the first story
E – Franklin County
W – Hall County
Photos taken 2013