Oconee County is named for the Oconee River which means “people place” or “nation of the skunk” in the Creek Native American language.
Created: February 25, 1875
Watkinsville 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Watkinsville
Location: 23 North Main Street / School Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Stripped Classical
Architect: William J J Chase
Contractor: Knox Brothers Lumber Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a slightly projecting concrete center section with recessed entrance on the first story and three large windows on the second story. The east and west sections are recessed. A narrow horizontal band runs between the floors. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed in 1998 extending the building southwards. The architect was Brittain Thompson Bray Brown Inc. and the contractor was Salloun Construction Company, Inc.
N – Barrow County
S – Greene County
Photos taken 2013