Burke County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Burke County
0427SC08

Burke County is named for Edmund Burke, who was a member of the British Parliament who advised the repeal of the Stamp Act and reconciliation with the   American colonies.

 

Created:  February 5, 1777

County Seat: 

Waynesboro  1784 – present

 

County Courthouse – Waynesboro 

 

Location:  111 East 6th Street / North Liberty Street

Built:  1857 – 1858

Style:  Vernacular with Italianate

Architect:  D B Plump

Contractor:  John Jones

 

Description:  The building  faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The older southwest section of the building has a square red brick Victorian Clock tower on the southwest corner and two stair cases up to the second story. The red colored roof is hipped. The large courtroom is located on the second story. The architect was D B Plump and the contractor was John Jones. The building was expanded in 1899 to 1890 on the northeast side. The architect was Lewis F Goodrich and the contractor was Mr. Blair. The building was renovated in 1982. The architect was John Brown of Brown and Sigg and the contractor was A L Adams Construction Company of Augusta.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1773. The second courthouse was built by John Sharp in 1777. The third courthouse was built in 1825 and burned in 1956. In 1857, John Jones provided the slave labor to construct the fourth courthouse and the courthouse is one of the oldest structures in Georgia

 

County Courthouse Annex – Waynesboro 

 

0429sc08

 

Location:  111 East 6th Street / North Liberty Street

Built:  1938 – 1940

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Odis Clay Poundstone

Contractor:  H E Peel

 

Description:  The building  faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is connected to the courthouse on the southwest side. The southeast front projects and has a large portico having four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed wall is gray colored concrete with a central entrance on the first story. A wide horizontal band runs below the roof line. The construction was a Works Progress Administration project. 

 

Note:  The contractor, H E Peel declared bankruptcy during construction. McGregor Company of Athens completed the furnishings.

 

County Judicial Center – Waynesboro 

 

674f18

 

Location:  202 East 6th Street / Myrick Street

Built:  2017 – 2019

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Carter Watkins Associates Architects Inc. of Monroe

Contractor:  McKnight Construction Company Inc. of Augusta

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located to the east of the courthouse. The west front has two columns rising to a wide header with pediment at the roof line and recessed large windows. On the south and north ends, the building projects slightly and rises to pediments at the roof line.  Along the southwest and northwest sides are vertical concrete pilasters. The roof line is flat. 

 

Note:  The cost of construction is $16,913,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Richmond Count and Aiken County, South Carolina

E – Barnwell County, South Carolina and Allendale County, South Carolina

S – Screven County, Jenkins County and Emanuel County

W – Jefferson County

 

 

 

0426sc08

County Courthouse

 

 

0424sc08

 

 

0428sc08

 

 

664f18

 

 

0431sc08

 

 

0430sc08

County Courthouse Annex

 

 

665f18

 

 

667f18

 

 

668f18

 

 

669f18

 

 

670f18

 

 

671f18

 

 

672f18

 

 

673f18

 

 

0432sc08

Photos taken 2008 and 2018