Cumberland County is named for the Cumberland Mountains which run along the eastern part of Tennessee.
Created: November 16, 1855
Crossville 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Crossville
Location: 2 North Main Street / 4th Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: W Chamberlin and Company of Knoxville
Contractor: Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored Indiana limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has two large arches on the first story and rising to a tiered section with white colored drum and an octagonal cupola with clock and domed roof. On the south west and northwest corners are octagonal towers The roof is hipped. In 1978, the east wing was constructed. The architect was Hart-Freeland-Roberts, Inc. of Nashville and the contractor was Flynn Construction Company of Crossville.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Cumberland County Courthouse
Note: The first courthouse was a one story frame structure built in 1857. The second courthouse was built in 1887 at a cost of $5,000 and is still standing. The cost of construction of the third and present courthouse was $23,000 in 1905.
Old County Courthouse – Crossville
Location: 20 South Main Street / 4th Street
Built: 1895 – 1896
Architect: J F Bowman of Knoxville
Contractor: D G Brow, W J McGuire, Lewis Bennett and W J Andrews of Crossville
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored sandstone structure. The building is located across the street from the present courthouse in the center of the city. The east front has a small one story portico at the central entrance. There are dormers on the hipped roof. The building now houses the Military Museum
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857. The cost of construction of the second courthouse in 1896 was $2,500.
County Justice Center – Crossville
Location: 90 Justice Center Drive / South Main Street
Built: 1928 – 1930
Style: School and Modern
Architect: R H Hunt
Description: The building faces east and is a two story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the south of the courthouse. The building was the Cumberland County High School until 2009 when it was remodeled to house the courts. In 1951, the north wing was constructed. The building was remodeled in 2009 to 2010. The architect was Upland Design Group, Inc. of Crossville and the contractor was Parsley Brothers Construction of Murfreesboro. Along the south side, a modern addition was constructed in 1991 to 1992. The architect was Upland Design Group, Inc. of Crossville and Sparkman & Associates and and the contractor was Mid-State Construction Inc.
Old County Courthouse
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2014 and 2018