Richmond County is named for the third Duke of Richmond, who was the British Secretary of State and sympathetic to the cause of the American colonies.
Created: January 23, 1780
Augusta 1780 – present
Old County Courthouse – Augusta
Location: 530 Greene Street / Monument Street
Built: 1956 – 1957
Architect: Scroggs & Ewing of Augusta and Kuhlke & Wade
Contractor: Beer Construction Company of Atlanta
Description: The building faces north and is a nine story stone, glass and concrete structure. The building has protruding three story wings on the east and west sides. The building is faced with a gray colored polished stone and vertical dividers run between the windows. The roof line is flat. The building houses the City of Augusta offices. An addition is being constructed in 2014 on the south side. The architect was Virgo Gambill Architects and the contractor was Turner Corporation and Heery International Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by James Middleton and constructed in 1820. An additions was added in 1870. A further addition was added in 1892 and the architect was L F Goodrich.
County Courthouse – Augusta
Location: 735 James Brown Boulevard / Walton Way
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Turner Associates/Architects & Planners, Inc.
Contractor: Potts Construction of Conyers
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building has a extended south wing with projecting glass windows on the second and third stories, In the center of the east front is a large portico with four columns rising two stories to a header and with three vertical glass sections. On the north side is a large circular section with vertical windows. On the center of the roof is a large square tower with vertical openings at the top. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the John H Ruffin Courthouse. The construction manager was Heery International Inc.
S – Burke County
W – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2008 and 2014