Oconee County is named for the Native American Hitichi Creek word meaning “land of springs” and the name was picked up from the Yuchi Tribe which resided in the region.
Created: January 29, 1868
Walhalla 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Walhalla
Location: 205 West Main Street / South Tugaloo Street
Built: 1999 – 2001
Architect: FJ Clarke Incorporated
Contractor: M B Kahn Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a five story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building has a rounded central section on the first and second stories having a glassed entrance. The central section rises to a peak with vertical concrete bands between the window sections. On the east and west are similar protruding sections with vertical dividers. Dark red colored brick faces the base of the building.
Old County Courthouse – Walhalla
Location: 209 West Main Street / South Church Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff of Columbia
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brick, concrete and stone structure. The building fsits on a rise. The entrance with glass panels above, is along the west side of the north front. Vertical concrete dividers separate the vertical windows. The building stands empty.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by E H McCollough in 1901.
E – Pickens County
Photos taken 2008 and 2013