Yalobusha County is named for The Native American word meaning “tadpole place”.
Created: December 23, 1833
Coffeeville 1833 – present ( First Judicial District )
Water Valley 1873 – present ( Second Judicial District )
* Yalobusha County has two county seats
County Courthouse – Coffeeville
Location: 14400 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Architect: W E Mooring
Contractor: W E Mooring
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story dark red colored brick and wood structure. The northeast front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story and arched window on the second story. Behind the entrance is a rectangular section which then angles outwards to form an octagonal center section tapering to a rectangular rear section. The roof line is flat. The building houses the court for the First Judicial District. On the southwest side of the building is the old jail. In 2006, the building was renovated. The architect was Belinda Stewart Architects of Eupora.
Note: The courthouse in Coffeeville is the third one on the site. This “new” courthouse was built in 1890 at a cost of $25,000. At the time, the county population was 16,629.
County Courthouse – Water Valley
Location: 109 Calhoun Street / Railroad Avenue
Built: 1896 – 1897
Architect: Walter Chamberlain & Company
Contractor: B B Williams
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick, steel and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting center section with a large arch on the first story with recessed entrance. Above is a porch on the second story with two columns. At the roof line is a raised section. There are arched entrances on the north and south sides. On each corner of the building is a square brick tower. The base of the building is dark red colored brick. The roof line is flat. The building houses the court for the Second Judicial District, After a fire in 1912, the building was reconstructed. The architect was Penn Jeffries Krouse and the contractor was Lockett & Irby. During the reconstruction, C C Gunter was the superintendent of construction. In 2004, the building was restored. The architect was Belinda Stewart Architects of Eupora and the contractor was Kenneth R Thompson, Jr. Builder Inc. of Greenwood.
Note: The upper floors of this three story masonry, steel and concrete building was unusable due to serious structural deficiencies. The exterior primarily consists of a fine face brick with small mortar joints and limestone and terracotta detailing. The exterior rehabilitation of the building included reinstallation of the historic decorative cornice, cleaning and tuckpointing of the exterior masonry and restoration of the terracotta details. The interior rehabilitation included restoration of the stone tile hallway flooring, plaster, wood moldings, and structural shoring. The courtroom was restored to the former configuration including an open balcony.
E – Calhoun County
S – Grenada County
Photos taken 2012