Yoakum County is named for Henderson King Yoakum, who was a soldier, attorney and Texas historian.
Created: August 21, 1876
Plains 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Plains
Location: 601 Cowboy Way / Avenue G
Built: 1948 – 1949
Architect: Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth
Contractor: BMFP Construction Company, a partnership composed of F O Bennett, W S Moss and H A Padgett, Jr. of Lubbock
Description: The building faces south and is a three story yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and with vertical yellow colored panels. The east and west wings are recessed. With recessed third story. The roof line is flat. The large courtroom is located at the center of the second story. On the north side is a large addition and on the east a smaller addition constructed in 1975 and connected by a bridge on the second story. The architect was Stiles, Roberts, Messersmith and Johnson of Lubbock and the contractor was Knox, Gailey and Meador. The consulting engineer was Zumwalt and Vinther.
Old County Courthouse – Plains
Location: 501 Cowboy Way / Avenue E
Built: 1925 – 1926
Architect: The Butler Company
Contractor: F M Wallace Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The square shaped building is located on spacious grounds on the west side of the courthouse in the center of the city. There are recessed entrances on the east, south and west sides. A white colored belt runs above the second story windows with decorative brickwork above. The roof line is flat. The building now serves as a museum. The building was remodeled in 1971. The architect was Stiles, Roberts and Messersmith of Lubbock and the contractor was Bayer Lumber Company.
Note: The County was unorganized until 1907. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1908 and which burned in 1926. The second courthouse was constructed in 1925 and the third courthouse constructed in 1948 at a cost of $260,000.
N – Cochran County
E – Terry County
S – Gaines County
W – Lea County, New Mexico
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2019