Quitman County is named for John A Quitman, who was the tenth Governor of the State of Mississippi.
Created: February 1, 1877
Marks 1877 – 1883
Belen 1883 – 1906
Marks 1906 – present
County Courthouse – Marks
Location: 220 Chestnut Street / Peach Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Chamberlain and Company of Birmingham, Alabanma
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on spacious and treed grounds. The west front has a large porch with eight large columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. Above the entrance is a small balcony on the second story. Above the header is a wide platform from which rises a large circular dome with crown-like edges. The east side has a similar porch.
Note: The first courthouse was the residence of Thomas B Hill in Marks. The second courthouse was built in Belen in 1894 and burned in 1908. The present courthouse is similar in design to the Crittenden County courthouse in Arkansas.The architect and contractor were the same.
N – Tunica County
W – Coahoma County
Belen Courthouse 1894
Photos taken 2012 and 2017