Dallas County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Dallas County
Dallas

Dallas County is named for Alexander James Dallas, who was the United States Secretary of the Treasury.

 

Created:  February 9, 1818

County Seat:

Cahawba  1818 – 1866

Selma       1866 – present

 

County Courthouse – Selma

 

Location:  105 Lauderdale Street / Alabama Avenue

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Walter Chamberlin of Knoxville, Tennessee

Contractor:  J W Hood

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story white and brown colored stone  structure. The northeast corner has a high rectangular section with the main entrance on the first story. There are square sections on the southeast and southwest corners. The windows are narrow and vertical. The roof line is flat.  The building was remodeled from 1958 to 1960 changing the exterior appearance. The architect was Warren, Knight & Davis and the contractor was Cooper Brothers Construction Company, Inc.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Selma

 

0691a10

 

Location:  105 Lauderdale Street / Alabama Avenue

Built:  1978 – 1979

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wiatt Watson & Cole Inc.

Contractor:  Andrew & Dawson

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse. The west front has a projecting center section with recessed porch and entrance on the first story. The building has a mansard roof with dormers.

 

Old County Courthouse – Selma

 

465f15

 

Location:  109 Union Street / Alabama Avenue

Built:  1847 – 1848

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Selma Fraternal Lodge No. 27 of the Free and Accepted Masons.

Contractor:  Selma Fraternal Lodge No. 27 of the Free and Accepted Masons.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The first story entrance is recessed and balconies are on the second and third stories. The building is named as The Joseph T. Smitherman Historic Building .

 

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $15,000. The building served as the courthouse from 1866 to 1902.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Perry County and Chilton County

E – Autuaga County and Lowndes County

S – Wilcox County

W – Wilcox County, Marengo County and Perry County

 

 

 

0682a10

 

 

0685a10

 

 

0686a10

 

 

0687a10

 

 

0688a10

 

 

0689a10

 

 

0690a10

 

 

0692a10

 

 

0693a10

 

 

464f15

 

 

468f15

 

 

470f15

 

 

471f15

 

 

463f15

Photos taken 2010 and 2015