Gibson County is named for John H Gibson, who was a soldier of the Natchez Expedition and the Creek War.
Created: October 21, 1823
Trenton 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Trenton
Location: 1 Court Square / Eaton Street
Built: 1899 – 1901
Style: High Victorian
Architect: Walter Chamberlin and Company of Knoxville
Contractor: T R Biggs & Son of Trenton
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff and red colored brick structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the landscaped grounds of Court Square in the center of the city. The south front has a porch on the first story with balcony on the second story with decorated balustrade and rising to a third story section above the roof line. Each corner of the building has a square tower with steep red colored roof. Granite gray colored stone is used for the belt course. On the center of the sloped roof is a cupola with red colored dome and clock. The center hall plan is designed with three identical entrances. The former courtroom on the second story has been converted into offices.
Note: The first court met at the home of Luke Biss and at the home of William C Love. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1824. The second courthouse was brick building built in 1829. The third courthouse was also a brick building constructed in 1839 and was demolished for the erection of the fourth and present courthouse in 1899. Hugger and Winston were hired as the contractors but abandoned the project.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Gibson County Courthouse
County Justice Building – Trenton
Location: 204 North Court Square / West Central Street
Description: The building faces east and is one story yellow and red colored brick and concrete structure. he long rectangular shaped building is located in the center of the city on the north side of the courthouse. Along the east front are three entrances with green colored canopies. The roof lone is flat. At the south end is the Circuit Court and at the north end the General Sessions Court.
County Justice Building
Photos taken 2011 and 2018