Deaf Smith County is named for Erastus “Deaf” Smith, who was a scout during the Texas Revolution.
Created: August 21, 1876
La Plata 1890 – 1898
Hereford 1898 – present
County Courthouse – Hereford
Location: 235 East 3rd Street / Schley Avenue
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: W Chamberlin & Company of Knoxville, Tennessee
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is faced with white colored marble. The south front has a large portico supported by eight large columns rising to the third story which has windows and a pediment above containing a large star in a circle. The steps are divided with an east and west set up to the portico. A protruding horizontal cornice runs between the second and third stories. The courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. A one story addition was constructed on the north side in 1986.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built by John A White of Vernon at La Plata in 1891 at a cost of $41,000. The building was moved to Hereford in 1898 when the county seat changed. The second and present courthouse was cost of construction of the courthouse was $125,000. The courthouse was the second United States courthouse to be faced with marble.
N – Oldham County
E – Randall County
Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2019