Wilkes County is named for John Wilkes, who was a British politician who supported the cause of the American colonies in the British House of Commons.
Created: February 5, 1777
Washington 1784 – present
County Courthouse – Washington
Location: 23 East Court Street / Spring Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: Savannah Contracting Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building faces onto Courthouse Square. The south front has a large square clock tower with red colored roof. On the west is a round tower with red colored roof and at the base, an arched recessed entrance. On the east is a shorter square tower and above is a red colored diagonally crossed façade. During construction, J E Burgess was the general manager. The upper part of the building was destroyed by a fire in 1958. The building was renovated in 1959. The architect was Willis Irvin Architects & Associates of Augusta and the contractor was J M Long of Washington. In 1989 an addition was constructed on the north side.
Note: The building plans used were the same plans used for the construction of the Anderson County, South Carolina, Courthouse.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
E – Lincoln County
Photos taken 2008