Stephens County is named for Alexander Stephens, who was a United States Representative, the Vice President of the Confederate States of America and the fifty-third governor of Georgia.
Created: August 18, 1905
Toccoa 1905 – present
Old County Courthouse – Toccoa
Location: 150 West Doyle Street / North Alexander Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: H L Lewman
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building sits on a rise. The south front has a large portico with four large white columns rising to a pediment. The east and west wings extend from the main building. The building was remodeled in 2007 and 2008 and will be used as county offices. The old courtroom on the second story is now the commissioners room.
Note: The architect, H C Lewman also designed and his company, Falls City Construction Company, built the courthouse in Irwin County. The cornerstone of each courthouse shows only Falls City Construction Company.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
County Courthouse – Toccoa
Location: 205 North Alexander Avenue / West Tugalo Streeet
Built: 2000 – 2001
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a high portico supported by four square white pillars rising to a pediment at the roof line. A wide white horizontal band runs between the first and second stories. The building is the Stephens County Government Building.
N – Oconee County, South Carolina
E – Oconee County, South Carolina
W – Habersham County
Photos taken 2008 and 2013