Taliaferro County is named for Benjamin Taliaferro, who was an officer in the American Revolutionary War and a United States Representative from Georgia ( pronounced “Toliver” ).
Created: December 24, 1825
Crawfordville 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Crawfordville
Location: 113 Monument Street / Broad Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: High Victoria
Architect: Lewis F Goodrich of Augusta
Contractor: J H McKenzie & Son
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building has a large square clock tower on the southeast corner rising to a white octagonal cupola with clock and silver colored roof. There are small brick pillar supported porches on the south and east sides. Small square towers are on the other building corners.
East – Wilkes County
West – Greene County
Photos taken 2008