Jefferson County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Jefferson County
Jefferson

Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was the third President of the United States.

 

Created:  February 20, 1796

County Seat: 

Louisville  1796 – present

 

County Courthouse – Louisville 

 

Location:  202 East Broad Street / Screven Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Willis F Denney

Contractor:  P P Heifner

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story gray stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to pediment at the roof line. There are small pediments over the projecting first story windows. A wide horizontal band runs beneath the roof cornice. A high rectangular section is located in the center of the roof with an octagonal green cupola with clock rising in the center. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1990. The architect was Dort B Payne and the contractor was Blalock & Blalock.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Glascock County, Warren County and McDuffie County

E – Richmond County and Burke County

S – Emanuel County and Johnson County

W – Washington County

 

 

 

0412sc08

County Courthouse

 

 

0414sc08

 

 

0415sc08

 

 

0416sc08

 

 

649f18

 

 

650f18

 

 

652f18

 

 

655f18

 

 

653f18

 

 

654f18

 

 

656f18

 

 

657f18

 

 

0417sc08

 

 

659f18

 

 

0418sc08

Photos taken 2008 and 2018