Montgomery County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Montgomery County
Montgomery

Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a Brigadier General in the Continental Army during the American Civil War.

 

Created:  December 19, 1793

County Seat: 

William Neal House      1794 – 1797

Arthur Lott Plantation    1797 – 1801

Ebenezer Church          1802 – 1812

Mount   Vernon             1813 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mount Vernon

 

Location:  400 South Railway Avenue / East Church Street

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Alexander Blair III of Macon

Contractor:  J H McKenzie & Son

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large portico supported by four large white columns supporting a wide header with balustrade. White stone trim decorated the tops of the windows and the building corners. On the center of the roof is a large white octagonal dome with clock.

 

Courthouses: 

Treutlen County 

E – Toombs County

S – Jeff Davis County

W – Wheeler County

 

 

 

0309sc08

 

 

0307sc08

 

 

0306sc08

 

 

0305sc08

 

 

0310sc08

 

 

0669g13

 

 

0670g13

 

 

0673g13

 

 

0674g13

 

 

0311sc08

 

 

0312sc08

 

 

0675g13

 

 

0662g13

Photos taken 2008 and 2013