Dooly County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Dooly County
0438G13

Dooly County is named for John Dooly, who was a commander at the Battle of Kettle Creek in 1779.

 

Created:  May 15, 1821

County Seat: 

Berrien ( Vienna )  1826 – 1836

Drayton                  1836 – 1839

Vienna                   1839 – present

 

County Courthouse – Vienna

 

Location:  104 South 2nd Street / West Union Street

Built:  1890 – 1892

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  William H Parkings

Contractor:  J P Heard

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the east front has a projecting center section with a one story porch with four brick pillars and recessed entrance. Above the porch are large arched windows on three sides. Above, the wall rises to a peak at the roof line. On the southeast corner is a large square red colored brick clock tower. On the north side of the front is a lower tower with high narrow turret rising above the roof line. The roof is gabled. The building was renovated in 1963. The build was further renovated in 1987 to 1988. The architect was Lee Meyer and labor was provided by the Georgia Department of Corrections.

 

Note:  William H Parkings who was an architect, designed and the present courthouse at a cost of $25,000.

 

Courthouses: 

 Macon County and Houston County

E – Pulaski County and Wilcox County 

S – Crisp County

W – Sumter County

 

 

 

1406f18

County Courthouse

 

 

1409f18

 

 

0442g13

 

 

0436g13

 

 

0439g13

 

 

0440g13

 

 

0443g13

 

 

0444g13

 

 

0446g13

 

 

0448g13

 

 

0435g13

Photos taken 2013 and 2018