Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a hero during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 3, 1786
Greensboro 1786 – present
County Courthouse – Greensboro
Location: 113 North Main Street / East Green Street
Built: 1848 – 1849
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: David Demarest of Athens and Atharates Atkinson of Madison
Contractor: David Demarest of Athens and Atharates Atkinson of Madison
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a large porch with four large white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the north and south sides are small one story additions. The building was remodeled in 1938. The architect was F Arthur Hazard and the contractor was Knox Brothers Lumber Company of Thomson. On the east side is a modern three story addition. To the east are the old stone jail and the old sheriff residence.
Note: During construction, the third story for and by the Masons of Greene County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Greene County Courthouse
S – Hancock County
Photos taken 2013