Crisp County is named for Charles F Crisp, who was a Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.
Created: August 17, 1905
Cordele 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Cordele
Location: 510 North 7th Street / East 6th Avenue
Built: 2009 – 2010
Architect: Pieper O’Brien Herr Architects
Contractor: Turner Construction Company of Atlanta
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The west front has a central portico with four columns rising to a wide brick and concrete header rising above the roof line. The wall inside the portico is concrete. The center section projects from the main building. A white colored band runs along the flat roof line.
Old County Courthouse – Cordele
Location: 210 South 7th Street / East 13th Avenue
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: Bernard A Webb, Jr.
Contractor: J S Curry & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brick, concrete and glass structure. On the north side is a rectangular section with entrance on the south side. On the west side is a two story section with open basement level courtyard. On the south side is a small rectangular section with covered porch on the east side. A covered walkway extends from the south to north section. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed in 1976. The architect was Biggers & Crisp and the contractor was Jack A Griffin. Inc. The building houses the Board of Commissioners and county offices.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by T G Lockwood and constructed by Fred Wagner in 1907. The building burned in 1950.
N – Dooly County
Photos taken 2013