Morgan County is named for Daniel Morgan, who was general during the American Revolutionary War and a congressman from Virginia.
Created: December 10, 1807
Madison 1807 – present
County Courthouse – Madison
Location: 384 Hancock Street / East Jefferson Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Neo-Classical Revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: James Wingfield Golucke of Atlanta
Contractor: Winder Lumber Company and William De Cavin
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The southwest front has a large porch with four high columns supporting a balcony on the second story and rising to a wide header with pediment above the roof line. On the second story are three large arched windows. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. Behind the pediment is a large square white colored clock tower with clock , black colored dome and lantern at the top. On the north side is the old jail constructed in 1895.
Note: The first courthouse was built on the square in 1809. The second courthouse was built in 1845 and was destroyed by fire in 1916.
E – Greene County
S – Putnam County
Photos taken 2013, 2015 and 2018