Pulaski County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Pulaski County
0461G13

Pulaski County is named for Casimir Pulaski, who was a Revolutionary War soldier killed at the Battle of Savannah, and who lived from 1746 to 1779.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Houston County and Bleckley County

E – Dodge County

S – Wilcox County

W – Dooly County and Houston County

 

Created:  December 13, 1808                Map of Georgia highlighting Pulaski County

County Seat: 

Hartford         1808 – 1836                     

Hawkinsville  1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hawkinsville

 

Location:  350 Commerce Street / South Lumpkin Street

Built:  1897 – 1898

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  A J Bryan & Company

Contractor:  Wagner & Gorenflo

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored stucco over brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hawinsville. The north front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The entrance is framed with small pediment above. On the roof is a large platform with octagonal cupola with clock and black colored dome. The courtroom is located on the second story. An addition was constructed in 1910. The building was renovated in 2000 to 2001. The architect was Brittain, Thompson, Bray, Brown, Inc. of Macon and the contractor was C E Garbutt Construction of Dublin.

                        

See: The architect,  Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouses in Alabama in Coffee County, Lee County and Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Bracken Couinty and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish;  in Mississippi in Attala County and Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Pulaski County Courthouse

 

History:  The first courthouse was built in Hartford in 1812. The county seat was moved to Hawkinsville in 1836 and the courthouse was moved across the Ocmlgee River to the new town square. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure in 1874. The courthouse was changed in 1897 with a new façade becoming the third and present courthouse.

 

County Administration – Hawkinsville

 

0472g13

 

Location:  105 South Lumpkin Street / Broad Street

Built:  1987 – 1988

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Heart of Georgia APD

Contractor:  G E Peterson & Associates, Inc. of Albany

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored stucco structure. The building is lovated in the center of Hawinsville. There is a central entrance along the east front. The roof line is flat. The building is the Community Services Center.

 

 

0456g13

County Courthouse – Hawkinsville

 

 

0458g13

 

 

0462g13

 

 

0466g13

 

 

0463g13

 

 

0467g13

 

 

522f18

 

 

523f18

 

 

524f18

 

 

525f18

 

 

526f18

 

 

527f18

 

 

0468g13

 

 

0469g13

 

 

0470g13

County Administration – Hawkinsville

 

 

0473g13

 

 

530f18

Photos taken 2013 and 2018