Twiggs County is named for John Twiggs, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 14, 1809
Marion 1809 – 1868
Jeffersonville 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Jeffersonville
Location: 425 Railway Street / Magnolia Street
Built: 1902 – 1904
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James Wingfield Golucke & Company of Atlanta
Contractor: Fred Wagner
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The southwest front has a central clock tower with arched entrance on the first story, arched window on the second story and rising to a clock and steep roof. On the east and west corners are large square beick towers with steep roofs. , A wing extends east with square brick towers on the corners. A horizontal band runs above the first story. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated from 1996 to 2003. The architect was Brittain, Thompson, Bray and Brown and the labor was supplied by the Department of Corrections.
E – Wilkinson County
S – Bleckley County
W – Houston County
Photos taken 2013 and 2018