Telfair County is named for Edward Telfair, who was a Governor of Georgia and a congressman.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: December 10, 1807
Jacksonville 1807 – 1871
McRae 1871 – present
County Courthouse – McRae
Location: 19 East Oak Street / Telfair Avenue
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Dennis & Dennis of Macon
Contractor: A E Aittner of Albany
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff-red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of McRae. The south front has a projecting center section with three arches on the first story and three arched windows divided by vertical pilasters on the section story and rising to a pediment at the roof line. A horizontal band runs below the flat roof line. In the interior, the layout is a cross plan with hallways radiating from the center of the building to each entrance. The first story contains county office space. There are two staircases in the front part of the building and a single staircase in the northeastern or rear portion of the hallway. There are arched passageways, terrazzo flooring, wooden chair rails, steam radiators, original hardware and fixtures, and plaster ceilings. The vault on the first story retains its classical-detailed, iron surround with pilasters. There have been some minor changes to some of the offices, such as the addition of wood paneled wainscotting to a room on the second story. The County Superior Court courtroom is on the second floor. The courtroom has two double-door entrances, carpeted floors, and three sections of public seating. Its classical detailing includes pilasters along the walls, plaster ceilings with wood cross beams, a pedimented judge’s bench, and wood door surrounds. The only changes to the courtroom have been the addition of lighting and the closing off of the balcony. The building houses the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court, County Probate Court and Magistrate Court of the 8th Judicial District.
See: The 8th Judicial District includes Baldwin County, Ben Hill County, Bleckley County, Candler County, Crisp County, Dodge County, Dooly County, Emanuel County, Greene County, Hancock County, Jasper County, Jefferson County, Johnson County, Jones County, Laurens County, Montgomery County, Morgan County, Pulaski County, Putnam County, Toombs County, Treutlen County, Twiggs County, Washington County, Wheeler County, Wilcox County and Wilkinson County
History: The county was created in 1807 and Jacksonville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Jacksonville in 1816 to 1820. The second courthouse was a wood structure built in 1860. In 1871, the county seat was moved to McRae and the third courthouse, a two story brick structure, was erected in 1872 to 1873. The fourth courthouse was designed by and constructed by Alexander Blair of Macon and constructed by J H McKenzie’s Sons of Augusta in 1905. The building burned and the fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1934 to 1935.
County Courthouse – McRae
County Superior Court courtroom
Plaque 1905 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2013