Baldwin County is named for Abraham Baldwin, who was a signer of the United States Constitution and founder of the University of Georgia.
Created: May 11, 1803
Milledgeville 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Milledgeville
Location: 121 North Wilkinson Street / West Hancock Street
Built: 1995 – 1997
Architect: Brittain, Thompson, Bray & Brown
Contractor: Dyer Construction Company Inc. of Milledgeville
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting portico with three openings on the first story and four columns rising from the second story balcony to a header on the fourth story. There are two story porticos with four columns on the north and south sides. A wide horizontal band runs between the third and fourth story. On the center of the roof is a high square cupola with clock and rounded section above rising to a small dome.
Note: The first court was a log cabin owned by George Hill in Hillsborough. The first courthouse was built in 1814 at a cost of $3,975. The second courthouse was built in 1847 and burned in 1861.
Old County Courthouse – Milledgeville
Location: NW – West Hancock Street / North Wilkinson Street
Built: 1885 – 1887
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: McDonald Brothers and P E Dennis
Contractor: McMillan & Alling
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spious landscaped grounds to the west of the courthouse. The south front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a decorated pediment with circular window. The central section of the building projects from the main building and a wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. On the center of the roof is a high square white colored cupola rising to a clock and steep roof with small platform at the top. The building was remodeled in 1937 and 1965 and is located across from the new courthouse. The building presently stands vacant.
Old State Capitol – Milledgeville
Location: 210 East Greene Street / South Jefferson Street
Built: 1806 – 1837
Style: Gothic Revival
Architect: Jett Thomas and John Turner
Contractor: Jett Thomas and John Turner
Description: The building faces north and is a two story yellowish plaster and stone structure. The north front has a projecting center section with arched entrance. The second story has three large arched windows. On the corners are projecting square towers with crenulations along the top. On the center of the roof is a large square tower with turrets at the corners. The north and south wings were added in 1828 and 1834. The architect was Henry Hamilton. The east and west porticos were added in 1835 and have granite steps. The building now houses the Georgia Military College.
Note: The building was constructed at a cost of $65,000 and required 1,377,266 bricks, 65,000 shingles, 44 windows and 200 feet of window glass. The walls are three feet thick.
Old Governor Mansion – Milledgeville
Location: 120 South Clark Street / West Greene Street
Built: 1837 – 1838
Architect: Charles B Cluskey
Contractor: Timothy Porter of Farmington, Connecticut
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. In 1864, the mansion ceased to be the Governor’s residence and the capital was moved to Atlanta in 1868. The mansion is now the residence for the President of Georgia College State University.
S – Wilkinson County
W – Jones County
Old County Courthouse
Old State Capitol
Old Governor Mansion
Photos taken 2013 and 2018