Hancock County is named for John Hancock, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1737 to 1793.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: December 17, 1793
Sparta 1793 – present
County Courthouse – Sparta
Location: 40 Courthouse Square / Broad Street
Built: 1881 – 1882
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Parkins and Bruce
Contractor: James Smith and Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square in the center of Sparta. The north front has a wide porch on the first story with central entrance. On the second story are three high arched windows with a smaller arched windows at each corner. At the roof line is a pediment with wide cornice below. On the center of the roof is a large square white colored cupola with clock and steep roof at the top. The building has a mansard roof. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was restored in the 1970’s.
Note: A fire on August 11, 2014 destroyed the building. The building was originally constructed to allow the center timbers to fall inwards during a fire, allowing the outer walls to remain standing. The building was rebuilt using the original walls. The architect is Carter Watkins Associates Architects Inc. of Monroe and the contractor is J W Spratlin and Sons Construction of Lincolnton. The cost for reconstruction is $6,600,000.
History: The first courthouse in 1793 was a wood building known as Four Mile Store. The second courthouse was a wood structure built in Sparta. The third courthouse was a brick structure built on the Courthouse Square in the 1800’s. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1881 to 1883 and suffered fire damage in 2014.
County Courthouse before the fire in 2014 – Sparta
County Courthouse rebuilt – Sparta
Photos taken 2013 and 2018