Johnson County is named for Herschel Johnson, who was a Governor of Georgia and a vice-presidential candidate in 1860.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: December 11, 1858
Wrightsville 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Wrightsville
Location: 2557 Elm Street / Court Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James Wingfield Golucke and Stewart
Contractor: Wagner & Gorenflo
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red- pink colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of Wrightsville. The west front has a recessed center section with arched entrance on the first story. There are entrances on all four sides of the building and four corner pavilions each with a bracketed gable. Above on the second story is a large arched window. On the first story windows are segmentally arched while on the second story, they are round arched with emphasized keystones. The pedimented wooden clock tower rises in three stages surmounted by a small dome and is a later addition. In the interior, the County Superior Court room is located on the second story and has a coved pressed metal ceiling now covered by acoustical tile. The metal remains in the coved area. The courtroom is entered from the side and retains the original judge’s bench. The litigation area is large and has a sculptural balustrade between it and the spectator section. The building houses the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court, County Probate Court and Magistrate Court of the 8th Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1938 and 1940 under the Works Project Administration. The building was renovated in 1996. The architect was Carter Watkins Associates of Monroe and the contractor was Paul S Aikins Construction of Statesboro.
Notice: The courthouse is closed for major renovation work. The county office is located at 6315 US Highway 57 SE in the Cedar Creek Industrial Park.
See: The “Y” floor plan is similar to the courthouse in Pike County which was also designed by James Wingfield Golucke and Stewart of Atlanta. This courthouse was the first of the twenty five courthouses designed by James Wingfield Golucke.
See: The courthouse plan designed by James Wingfield Golucke & Company is similar to the courthouses in Baker County, Henry County, Jones County, Schley County and Union County. Other courthouses designed include Barstow County, Clayton County, Coweta County, Madison County, Meriweather County, Morgan County, Pierce County, Pike County, Putnam County, Tattnall County and Twiggs County.
See: The 8th Judicial District includes Baldwin County, Ben Hill County, Bleckley County, Candler County, Crisp County, Dodge County, Dooly County, Emanuel County, Greene County, Hancock County, Jasper County, Jefferson County, Jones County, Laurens County, Montgomery County, Morgan County, Pulaski County, Putnam County, Telfair County, Toombs County, Treutlen County, Twiggs County, Washington County, Wheeler County, Wilcox County and Wilkinson County
See: National Register of Historic Places – Johnson County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1858 and Wrightsville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a wooden structure built in 1858. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1894 to 1895.
County Courthouse – Wrightsville
County Courthouse in 2024
Photos taken 2013, 2018 and 2024