Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: February 25, 1784
Warthen 1784 – 1796
Sandersville 1796 – present
County Courthouse – Sandersville
Location: 132 West Haynes Street / Harris Street
Built: 1868 – 1869
Style: High Victorian with Second Empire clock tower
Architect: Greene Brantley and J. W. Renfroe
Contractor: Greene Brantley and J. W. Renfroe
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square. The building faces south and was completed in 1869. The south front has a large arch on the first story with recessed entrance. Above the arch rises a square brick clock tower with clock, black colored dome and eagle statue at the top. On the west side is a three story section with central dormer and on the east side is a two story section. There is stone trim on the building. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story. An addition was built in 1899. the architect was Lewis F Goodrich and the contractor was J H McKenzie & Sons. Another two story red colored brick addition was built in 1938 on the west side with small square brick cupola at the east end. The architect was L H Ledford and the contractor was H L McCaskill. The building was renovated in 1970 to 1973 and in 1987
Note: The cost of construction in 1868 was $22,000.. The bell tower was constructed in 1899 and the bell bears the inscription “Buck Eye Bell Foundry 1899″ The bell was used as a fire bell.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Washington County Courthouse
N – Hancock County
S – Johnson County
Photos taken 2013 and 2018