Dodge County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Dodge County
0498G13

Dodge County is named for William Dodge, who was a New York congressman and who purchased a large amount of land in the county.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Bleckley County

E – Laurens County and Wheeler County 

S – Telfair County

W – Wilcox County and Pulaski County

 

Created:  October 26, 1870                    Map of Georgia highlighting Dodge County

County Seat: 

Eastman  1870 – present

 

County Courthouse – Eastman 

 

Location:  5018 Courthouse Circle / Foster Street

Built:  1906 – 1908

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta

Contractor:  M T Lewman & Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Eastman. The south front and north side have porticoes with tall columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the second story is a small balcony with large arched window. The second story windows are arched. A wide horizontal; band runs along the flat roof line.

 

See:  The architect, Edward Columbus Hosford & Company of Atlanta designed courthouses in Harris County and Wheeler County and in Florida in Baker County, Glades County, Hendry County, Jefferson CountyLafayette County, Pasco County and Polk County.

 

See:  The architect, Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia..

 

See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

History:  The first courthouse was built by William Dodge at his expense in 1870. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1906 to 1908.

 

 

0499g13

County Courthouse – Eastman

 

 

0500g13

 

 

0502g13

 

 

0503g13

 

 

0504g13

 

 

0505g13

 

 

0497g13

Photos taken 2013