Baker County is named for John Baker, who was a member of the Provincial Congress of Georgia in 1775 and who served in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 12, 1825
Byron 1825 – 1831
Newton 1831 – present
Old County Courthouse – Newton
Location: SE – Main Street / Washington Avenue
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: J W Golucke & Company
Contractor: Atlanta Fireproofing Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the southeast side of the center of the city. In the center of the south front is a four story red colored brick clock tower with peaked roof. On either side the building rises to a peaked roof line. On each corner is a small round white tower with steep roof. The large courtroom is located on the second story.
County Courthouse – Newton
Location: 167 Barber Place / Hillcrest Drive
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: School House
Description: The building face south and is a one story red colored brick and wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and northwest of the old courthouse.The south front has an entrance at the southeast corner with peaked roof. The building has a west wing and extends north. The building was a former school house and became the courthouse in 1994 after the old courthouse was flooded. The building was remodeled in 2000.
E – Mitchell County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2009