Union County is named for the Federal Union showing loyalty to the national government.
Created: December 3, 1832
Blairsville 1832 – present
Old County Courthouse – Blairsville
Location: 1 Town Square / Paul Haralson Memorial Drive
Built: 1898 – 1899
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Golucke & Stewart
Contractor: M B McGinty
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The northwest front has a one story porch with arched entrance. On either side are projecting sections which rise to peaks at the roof line. Above the central front is a high square bell tower with clock and steep roof at the top.
County Courthouse – Blairsville
Location: 65 Courthouse Street / Paul Haralson Memorial Drive
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Reynolds, Bailey, Vroom
Contractor: Corb Collins
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story dark brown colored brick and cencrete structure. The building fhas a main entrance at the second story on the southeast front. The building descends down a slope with a first story entrance on the northwest side. The roof line is flat. The original building was a one story rectangular structure on the southeast side. In 1978 a judicial wing with courtroom was added on the northeast side. The architect was Pope/Petterfer and the contractor was Corb Collins. The building was extended northwest in 2004 to 2005 creating the two story structure with glass paneled entrance on the northwest side. The architect was Rosser International and the contractor was Merritt Construction.
S – Lumpkin County
W – Fannin County
Photos taken 2013