Calhoun County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Calhoun County
Calhoun

Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was a United States statesman and Vice President.

 

Created:  February 20, 1854

County Seat: 

Morgan     1854 – 1923

Arlington   1923 – 1929

Morgan     1929 – present

 

County Courthouse – Morgan

 

Location:  31 Court Street / School Street

Built:  1930 – 1931

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  T F Lockwood Jr.

Contractor:  Huber Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The east front has a central portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment with clock at the roof line. Behind the portico is a white colored façade. The north and south wings are recessed. On the center of the roof is a small octagonal white colored cupola. The building was renovated in 1972. In 1998, an addition was constructed. The architect was EMO/ Architects of Tallahassee, Florida and the contractor was JCI General Contractors, Inc. of Moultrie.

 

Courthouses: 

Randolph County and Terrell County

E – Dougherty County 

S – Baker County and Early County

W – Early County and Clay County

 

 

 

1929f09

 

 

1930f09

 

 

1931f09

 

 

1932f09

 

 

1933f09

 

 

1934f09

 

 

1935f09

Photos taken 2009