Tift County is named for Nelson Tift, who was the founder of the City of Albany, Georgia, local judge, member of Congress, and also for Henry Harding Tift, who founded Tifton.
Created: August 17, 1905
Tifton 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Tifton
Location: 237 East 2nd Street / North Tift Avenue
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Beaux Arts Classicism
Architect: W A Edwards
Contractor: J F Jenkins & Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brown-buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a central porch supported by four columns rising to a a wide header with crest at the roof line. The entrance is recessed. A projecting cornice runs between the second and third stories. There is stone trim at the windows. The courtroom is located on the second story.
County Administration – Tifton
Location: 225 North Tift Avenue / East 3rd Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Classical Revival
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the northeast of the courthouse and served as a high school until 1962. In 1974, the building became the Charles A Kent Administration Building.
W – Worth County
Photos taken 2009 and 2018