Randolph County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Randolph County
Randolph -O

Randolph County is named for John Randolph, who was a Virginia congressman.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Stewart County and Webster County

E – Terrell County

S – Calhoun County and Clay County

W – Clay County and Quitman County

 

Created:  December 20, 1828                Map of Georgia highlighting Randolph County

County Seat: 

Lumpkin   1828 – 1831

Cuthbert   1831 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Cuthbert

 

Location:  208 Court Street / West Pine Street

Built:  1886 – 1887

Style:  Queen Anne

Architect:  L B Wheeler, W H Parkins and H I Kimball of Atlanta

Contractor:  J J Flood

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cuthbert. There is a high square clock tower on the southeast corner with steep roof. Over the main entrance is Dutch stepped gable. The former courtroom is located on the second story. The building is now the Welcome Center and was restored in 2013 to 2015 at a cost of $500,000.

 

County Courthouse – Cuthbert

 

0383a10

 

Location:  93 East Front Street / South Gordon Street

Built:  2005 – 2006

Style:  Modern

Architect:  IPG, Inc. ( Ingram Parris Group ) of Valdosta

Contractor:  Anderson Construction Company of Fort Gaines

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Cuthbert to the south of the old courthouse. The entrance towards the south on the west front has a wide arch with recessed glass entrance, There is red colored brick on the bottom three-quarters and yellow colored brick above. The roof is sloped. The courtroom is located at the center of the building.

 

History:  The first court met at private homes in Lumpkin in 1830 until it became the county seat for Stewart County in 1831 and Cuthbert became the new county seat. The first courthouse was a wooden structure built in 1837. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1845 to 1846. The third courthouse was constructed on in 1886 to 1887 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2005 to 2006.

 

 

 

0372a10

Old County Courthouse – Cuthbert

 

 

0373a10

 

 

0375a10

 

 

0376a10

 

 

1045g20

 

 

1046g20

 

 

1047g20

 

 

1051g20

 

 

1052g20

 

 

1053g20

 

 

1054g20

 

 

1058g20

 

 

1059g20

 

 

1060g20

 

 

1061g20

 

 

1062g20

 

 

1063g20

 

 

1064g20

 

 

1065g20

 

 

1066g20

 

 

1041g20

 

 

0380a10

County Courthouse – Cuthbert

 

 

0381a10

                       

 

0382a10

 

 

0384a10

 

 

1034g20

 

 

1035g20

 

 

1036g20

 

 

1037g20

 

 

1038g20

 

 

0385a10

 

 

0371a10

Photos taken 2010 and 2020