Worth County is named for William James Worth, who was as commandant at the United States Military Academy and an officer in the Mexican-American War.
Created: December 20, 1853
San Barnard 1853 – 1854
Isabella 1854 – 1904
Sylvester 1904 – present
County Courthouse – Sylvester
Location: 201 North Main Street / West Kelly Street
Built: 1983 – 1984
Style: Modern Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Dennis & Dennis Inc. of Macon
Contractor: Hollis & Spann of Dothan, Alabama
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a central portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment with clock at the roof line. Behind the portico is a brick center section with a square cupola rising to a red colored roof with clock and small open cupola at the top. There are portico on the east, west and north sides. There is a two story west wing.
Note: The building copies the 1905 courthouse designed by James Wingfield Golucke and destroyed by fire on January 27, 1982.
N – Crisp County
S – Colquitt County
County Courthouse 1905
Photos taken 2009 and 2018