Leon County is named for Ponce de Leon, who was the Spanish discovered of Florida.
Created: December 29, 1824
Tallahassee 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Tallahassee
Location: 301 South Monroe Street / East Jefferson Street
Built: 1989 – 1990
Architect: Barrett Daffin & Carlan, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The central entrance on the west side has a rounded section with high square arches rising three stories with blue glass panels on the fourth story. The southwest section projects westwards. The entrance lobby has a high interior dome.
Note: The present courthouse replaces a structure designed by Bruce & Morgan and built in 1882 by D J Oxford. The building was remodeled in 1924 by architect H J Klutho and contractor O P Woodcock.
See: Florida Supreme Court is located in Tallahassee.
E – Jefferson County
S – Wakulla County
Photos taken 2009 and 2015