Clinch County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Clinch County
Clinch

Clinch County is named for Duncan L Clinch, who was a former United States Army general and a Georgia congressman.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Atkinson County

E – Ware County

S – Baker County, Florida, Columbia County, Florida and Echols County

W – Lanier County

 

Created:  February 14, 1850                  Map of Georgia highlighting Clinch County

County Seat: 

Magnolia    1852 – 1860

Homerville  1860 – present

 

County Courthouse – Homerville

 

Location:  25 Court Square / Courtland Avenue

Built:  1896 – 1897

Style:  Victorian and Classical Revival

Architect:  T J Darling

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and  is a two story white colored stucco, wood and brick structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Homerville. The east front has a large porch supported by six large pillars rising to the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story. The windows have green colored shutters and the roof is hipped. In the interior are plaster walls wood wainscoting. The County Superior Court courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Superior Court and County Juvenile Court of the 2nd Judicial District. In 1936, the building was renovated under the Works Projects Administration.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Clinch County Courthouse

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Atkinson CountyBaker CountyBerrien CountyBrooks County. Calhoun CountyClay CountyColquitt CountyCook CountyDecatur CountyDougherty CountyEarly County, Echols CountyGrady CountyIrwin CountyLanier County, Lowndes County, Miller CountyMitchell County, Quitman CountyRandolph CountySeminole CountyTerrell CountyThomas CountyTift CountyTurner County and Worth County 

 

History:  The county was created in 1850 and Magnolia was selected as the county seat in 1852. The first court met at the house of Jonathon Knight. The first courthouse was built in 1852 and burned in 1856. In 1860, the county seat was moved to Homerville. The second courthouse was built in 1859 to 1860 and burned in 1867. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1896 to 1897.

 

Old County Jail – Homerville

 

2040f09

 

Location:  110 Court Square / Sycamore Street

Built:  1893 – 1894

Style:  Classical Revival and Victorian

Architect:  Thomas Firthg Lockwood of Columbus

Contractor:  Manly Iron Jail Works

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white colored wood frame and brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Court Square in the center of Homerville next to the courthouse. The east front has a central arched entrance on the first story with a central tower rising above the hipped roof line. The west side has a one story section with hipped roof. The building houses the County Probate Court and County Magistrate of the 2nd Judicial Administrative District. 

 

 

2033f09

County Courthouse – Homerville

 

 

2034f09

 

 

2035f09

 

 

2036f09

 

 

1464f18

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

1465f18

 

 

1466f18

 

 

1467f18

 

 

1468f18

 

 

1469f18

 

 

1470f18

 

 

1471f18

 

 

2039f09

Old County Jail – Homerville

 

 

1474f18

 

 

1475f18

 

 

1476f18

 

 

2038f09

Photos taken 2009 and 2018