Cook County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Cook County
Cook

Cook County is named for Philip Cook, who was a former Confederate general, United States representative and Georgia Secretary of State.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Tift County

E – Berrien County

S – Lowndes County and Brooks County

W – Colquitt County

 

Created:  July 30, 1918                          Map of Georgia highlighting Cook County

County Seat: 

Adel 1918 – present

 

County Courthouse – Adel

 

Location:  212 North Hutchinson Avenue / 2nd Street

Built:  1938 – 1939

Style:  Stripped Classical

Architect:  William J J Close

Contractor:  Ray M Lee Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and  is a two story white colored stucco and brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Adel. The west front has a central section at the north end with a stone façade and vertical dividers between the windows. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. There are old jail cells on the second story of the addition. This was a Works Project Administration project. The southeast wing was added in 1973. The architect was Thompson, Sanders and Dupree and the contractor was Abec, Inc.

 

History:  The first court met on the second story of the City Hall in Adel. The first courthouse was a two story garage. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 to 1939.

 

 

2062f09

County Courthouse – Adel

 

 

2063f09

 

 

1417g20

 

 

1418g20

 

 

1419g20

 

 

1422g20

 

 

1423g20

 

 

1426g20

 

 

1424g20

 

 

1425g20

 

 

2066f09

 

 

2065f09

 

 

2067f09

Photos taken 2009 and 2020