Terrell County is named for William Terrell, who was a planter, Congressman, state legislator from Sparta.
Created: February 16, 1856
Dawson 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Dawson
Location: 205 East Lee Street / Stonewall Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: High Victorian
Architect: William H Parkins
Contractor: J B Sample
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The north front has two large granite stone arches in the center with recessed porch and entrance. On the east side is a five story square red colored brick clock tower with clock, turrets and steep roof. Further east is a tall narrow round tower with silver colored conical roof. On the west side is a large square red colored brick tower rising four stories with a tall narrow tower on the northwest corner. On the first story is rough granite stone facing. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 2009. The architect was Robert W Brown and the contractor was Warden James W McClung.
Note: The building was constructed using Georgia clay for the bricks and Georgia granite. The cost was $36, 832.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Terrell County Courthouse
County Courthouse Annex – Dawson
Location: 513 South Main Street / Forrester Drive
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building has a flat roof line and was the old National Guard Armory. The building houses the county offices.
E – Lee County
W – Randolph County
Photos taken 2013