Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was an American statesman, U.S. Senator and Congressman from Kentucky 1806-1852, U.S. Secretary of State 1825-1829, three times Speaker of the House and three times candidate for president.
Created: February 16, 1854
Fort Gaines 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Gaines
Location: 210 Washington Street South / Hartford Road
Built: 1871 – 1873
Style: Italianate Renaissance Revival and Neo-Classical Revival
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick structure. The west front has a small portico with balcony on the second story and supported by two brick pillars. TThe building was renovated in 1939 by the Works Project Administration.
Note: The building is the oldest courthouse still in use in Georgia.
N – Quitman County
S – Early County
W – Henry County. Alabama
Photos taken 2009